Solution to: Testing for completion of print spooling?

Bruce A. Pokras macstacks at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 19 12:05:04 EST 2006

This is a Mac OS X matter, so Windows users can skip to the next message.

If you are printing several files using separate AppleScript "print"
commands, you might find that the last page of each file (except for
the last file) is not printed. I found that this occurred if the next
print command was sent while the Printer Icon in the Dock was still
being displayed from the previous print command. So how can you tell
if the Printer Icon is there or not?

Many thanks to that "Son of Thunder", Ken Ray, for his ProcessList
function (see
http://www.sonsofthunder.com/devres/revolution/tips/proc002.htm).
That will give you a real-time list of running processes. I found
that the process that represents the Printer Icon in the Dock is
called "PrinterProxy".  Once I had that figured out, it was easy to
delay the sending of the next print command until the Printer Icon
had disappeared from the previous print command.

Bottom line: no more missing pages!

Regards,

Bruce Pokras
Blazing Dawn Software