content of ask file

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 11 19:45:19 EST 2006

you could ..............
put empty into userAnswer
repeat until (not userAnswer contains "/")
   ask file > using    userAnswer   as the default
   put it into userAnswer
   repeat until last char of userAnswer is not "/"
      delete last char of userAnswer
   end repeat
   if userAnswer contains "/" then
   answer "the slash cannot be part of the filename... please modify your
entry" & cr & userAnswer
end repeat

You get the idea.. test the answer.  You could also test by
put "testString" into url ("file:"& userAnswer)
if there is not a file userAnswer then
   [must be illegal for some reason]
else
   delete file userAnswer