How Else to Interact with Browser (was Re:RevolutionWebBrowserPlugin)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Nov 6 13:38:20 EST 2006

jbv wrote:
 > I for one have been waiting for 3 years to have some vector
 > graphics implemented in Rev.

Have you looked into the new vector graphics subsystem in v2.7?  What
sorts of vector enhancements are you looking for?

Andre wrote:
 > there's no linux company making big bucks by distributing free linux,
 > if you're talking about Red Hat and friends, they are selling premium
 > support at a very company-wise rate, and thats how they make money.

That's one of the ironies inherent in the open source economy:

By creating the illusion that software can be produced at no cost,
companies need to cover development costs by some other means, which
usually comes down to support and consulting.

But ideally a well-made software provides not only utility, but also
robustness and usability as well, thereby lowering the need for support
and consulting.

Given the desire to compensate development costs by means other than the
software itself, there is no incentive for such software to achieve a
true excellence which would put usability at the forefront.

This is not to suggest that open source software must necessarily be
less usable, only that there are few incentives built into the practice
which encourage usability, and very direct incentives not to.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation