Ironing out the bugs, Web operability, and "more bang for your buck".

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 6 07:26:41 EST 2006

Dear Runtime Revolution afficionados,

It seems that there is one of those "merry storms"
brewing.

There seems to be some consensus about 2 points (which
are mentioned in the title of this posting).

I should like to point out some things that may be
being
overlooked at the moment:

1. I am not at all sure that HC/MC/RR was ever
intended to be
"the complete solution to all and everything that
concerns computers."
I have always thought (maybe naively - permission to
jump all over me is herewith granted) that RR's
primary focus was on RAD. And, RAD normally bypasses
the whole jingbang anent the SDL - from "Zero to Hero"
in 3 easy moves. To have really Rapid RAD ( RRAD ??? )
one will, necessarily have to sacrifice some other
things along the way.

Some of us are still perfectly happy (for our needs)
with the capabilities of RR 2.0.1 (in fact I normally
use the 'Free' version of 2.0.1 and only worked for DC
2.6.1 and paid for RRMedia 2.7.1 because my conscience
started acting up) - 2.0.1 with the added Graphic
capabilities of 2.7.4 could be pushed at the
"educational crowd".

2. Bugs - all software has bugs; and at least RR lets
you work around most of them. Mind you . . . one would
expect big bugs to be sorted out fairly rapidly.

3. Web operability - yes, it would be super - either
one way or the other. However cheap-jacks like me who
are trying to stump up the dosh for RR Studio don't
suddenly want to find out that the price has taken a
quantum leap to pay for all the time and work that
have gone into designing the web-operability. So . . .
Um . . .

a two-tier system ??? RRWeb and RRNon-Web ???

4. More Bang for Your Buck  . . .

On the whole it often turns out to be "More Bucks for
Your Bang".

You can't have it both ways.

5. Why do I have a feeling (?) that it should not be
that difficult to make a standalone player that
incorporates all the bells and whistles of RR
Enterprise.

Looking forward to the "jumpings", sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

I have just read and signed the online petition:

   "Hinge & Bracket"

hosted on the web by PetitionOnline.com, the free online petition
service, at:

   http://www.PetitionOnline.com/HandB/

I personally agree with what this petition says, and I think you might
agree, too.  If you can spare a moment, please take a look, and
consider signing yourself.

Richmond Mathewson