A new definition of libraries (was: Linux Installation)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Jun 10 14:30:14 EDT 2006

Bob Warren wrote:

> Mark Smith wrote:
>  >
> Bob, I think you may be getting hung up on the face-value meaning of
> the word 'standalone'
> -------------------------------------
> Thanks Mark. You might well be right. And indeed I might be making a
> fundamental mistake somewhere. However, according to my definition....

If it helps, forget the word "standalone" altogether, because its
historical origins with HyperCard (simply meaning a stack that has the
engine embedded and doesn't require the IDE) is apparently unsatisfying.

Think "application" instead.

Done.

If you really like the word "standalone" then perhaps we can lobby the
team leaders of the various incompatible Linux window managers to come
up with a single spec, so "Linux" can at last refer to a single thing
rather than a hodge-podge collection of loosely-related parts, thereby
making it possible for application developers to write for "Linux" and
know that it'll run well on all the various and wildly different things
that distractingly use the same name.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation