Functional Documents Created by Application

Joseph Martinez developer at positivepractices.com
Sat Jun 10 14:27:04 EDT 2006

Greetings,

I have a technical issue that I hope the list can help me resolve.  I've
been researching it for days, so now I realize it might just be better to
ask the experts.  I am creating an application that -- when opened --
requires the user to either 1) create a stack or 2) open an existing stack
(created by the App).

1. When the user creates a stack, the App clones the mainstack so it has all
the controls required and immediately enables the user to save it anywhere
on the drive.  The new stack, however, would have almost no scripts of its
own and just use the mainstack and substacks in the application for its
script functionality.  The stacks in the App therefore would be in the new
stack's message hierarchy.  Is this possible, and how would I get the App
and stack to find each other?

2. Also, when the user double-clicks on a previously created stack, it open
the App that created it and likewise would use all the stacks in the App for
functionality.  It's similar to the way a word processor works -- the app
creates a blank document, and the document relies on the app to do
everything it can do.  Is this too possible?

3. Also, can the stacks created as "documents" retain their editable data
whenever opened and closed using the structure above?  And, would this work
cross platform?

BTW, I'm just now migrating from HC and I apologize if this issue and/or its
three parts were previously discussed and resolved on mailing list.

Many thanks,

Joseph