Application Icons (Thomas Cole)

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Jun 4 20:52:07 EDT 2006

Tom Cole wrote:
> I would like to have a decent application icon for both Mac and Windows.
> I just want something besides the giant, honkin' R for revolution for Mac.
>
> There's a generic icon that is part of the standalone setup for Windows.
> I assume no one will sue me if I use that one? It looks like a computer
> screen with a tower computer by it. It's a white screen outlined in
> blue. That's what I get automatically when I create the standalone for
> windows.
>
> I thought that one of my standalones for Mac came out with the
> application icon that looks like a piece of paper with a pencil, ruler
> and pen on it. I've seen that icon on other applications. Is it legal to
> use that one for distribution? It looks like the icon in the finder that
> is the folder for applications and is named applications.

That is the default icon that OS X shows when no real icon has been
assigned to an application. You can get it by deleting the Rev icons
inside the Resources folder in the bundle.

It is fine to use this, since it is the system default, equivalent to
the one you describe for Windows. But if you are distributing to others,
it does make it look like you made a mistake and forgot to assign an
icon. It's okay for casual use but not for professional distribution.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com