Linux installation

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sun Jun 4 19:09:44 EDT 2006

On 6/4/06 12:51 PM, "Bob Warren" <bobwarren at howsoft.com> wrote:

> I AWAIT YOUR CORRECTIONS. Thanks.

The only clarification I'd make is that the Revolution engine itself (which
is bundled together with your stack when you make a standalone) requires
certain OS-level libraries on Linux, and if they are not available, your
application won't run. This can be seen when trying to use Rev as a CGI on a
Linux server without all the necessary Linux libraries in place (see
http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/revolution/tips/cgi001.htm for more
info). I'm assuming that since the Rev executable can simply be dragged to a
Linux web server for use as a CGI (or it *used* to, anyway) that the same
thing is true - if you're missing "libXext.so.6" for example, it may not
run.  (If anyone sees that I'm wrong, please let me know...)

Other than that, I'd be kind of careful with your definition of "standalone"
and the definition used by Revolution for "standalone". Rev applications
built using "Save as Standalone" can either be self-contained, or can call
on outside resources as necessary, based on how they were coded. So to be
glib, sometimes standalones are "standalones", and sometimes they're
"executables"... ;-)

Personally, I always use the word "exectuable" when talking about apps on
Windows and Linux, and "application" when talking about apps on MacOS...

Why? Don't know, really...

:-)

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software