formatForPrinting Again!

Timothy Due tim at leaf25.com
Wed Feb 1 22:30:40 EST 2006

Hi Jacqueline & Jonathan,

Thanks both for your helpful ideas.

In the end, the best way I found was to have formatForPrinting on, and to
have the printing script reduce the textsize of each character in each field
before sending it to the printer. Thanks Jonathan for this suggestion.

As my program allows users to use whatever font they want, working out a
ratio for each font used would not be possible. Instead I simply reduced all
fonts on the screen by 1 pt. This seems to give the right result in most
cases.

It seems that printing is still a bit of a weak point in Rev. It's taken me
a long time to get it working reasonably well for my app. I even had to
write a script that replaces borders around fields with graphic rectangles
of the same size/width/colour etc. because the normal field borders don't
seem to print when they're close to other fields. Also, for some reason,
graphic rectangles don't always have the same widths on all sides when
printed, and graphic circles are kind of "squared off" around the edges.
Also the fill color inside graphic objects tends to "spill over" the
graphic's border on print outs.

I don't suppose that having printed output look the same as what is on the
screen is something the Rev team would consider looking at improving for the
next version?

Thanks again,

Tim.