Another Plugin Question

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Thu Aug 31 17:05:14 EDT 2006

On Aug 31, 2006, at 1:43 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:
> Where should libraries used by plugins be placed in the 2.7 folder
> structure?

These questions are on my mind, too.  I don't have an answer, but I
have a few hints and opinions.

You might guess that it could go into a new folder "Stack Libraries"
next to the plugins folder.  However, the section "New Distribution
Structure" of file Whats_New.txt says that the Standalone Builder
builds using the externals in the parallel folder "Externals", so
there is a risk that the Standalone Builder will start inserting
everything in folder "Stack Libraries" into builds.

You might guess that it could go into a folder in the Plugins
folder.  This might be safe; I think altPlugins uses a folder in the
plugins folder.  However, it would be nice to have some structure in
the plugins menu when it gets complicated.  Also, vendors might use a
submenu to keep all of their plugins from cluttering the plugin
menu.  One way to get that structure is to use subfolders.  Rev can
create the menu based on the folder structure.  I like the idea, but
I suspect it won't happen, so following Chipp's example should be OK.

In the case of darzTimer, I embedded stack libraries and externals in
the plugin stack, so I avoided the issue.  I start using the
libraries all in RAM, but the external is in a temp folder for a
short time.  Nothing is installed and no litter is left about.

> I have a stack to be used as a library by more than one Rev
> plugin.  I don't
> need the stack accessible by users since it only provides
> functions, but
> there doesn't appear to be any means in Rev's Plugins Manager to
> configure a
> stack to open as a library, or to just not open at all.  The only
> thing that
> comes to mind is to have Rev open the library stack as invisible
> and then
> call "start using" the library stack from my "real" plugins.  This
> assumes I
> place the library stack in the plugins folder.  Should I be placing
> the
> library somewhere else?

If the library is embedded, then it might be in all or in the primary
of those plugins.  That primary plugin can be used to make sure the
library is start'd.  It can be accessed by the other plugins to make
sure the library is start'd.  One plugin might have a way to make
sure it is start'd so users can use it.

If the library is intended to have a life independent of the plugins,
such as being part of a standalone, then you can have an option to
install it in some location.  The plugins will need to have some way
to know where that is so they can use it.  The user can decide where
that location is.  An OS might have a recommended location for
support and you can make that the default save location.  Allowing
the user to choose also makes it clear that you are installing
something and where it is.

My current plans for the future darzTimer is to allow the user to
install the library where desired and let the user decide.  However,
if you learn of the right place to put user accessible libraries, I
might switch.  I'm currently thinking of distributing everything as
plugins and let the plugin handle extended installation & updating,
buying, docs, tutorials, and so on.

I think having a folder for libraries that MIGHT go into a standalone
could be handy.  Right now there is only the Add Stack File...
button.  If there was a standard place for libraries, there might be
check boxes or a multiple selection field.  I wouldn't want them to
automatically clutter a standalone as is described for the External
folder.

Dar Scott