Sending an apple event with custom parameters (BBEdit roundtrip)

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Wed Aug 30 14:02:05 EDT 2006

On 8/30/06 12:38 PM, "Jim Ault" <JimAultWins at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 8/30/06 2:11 AM, "Ben Rubinstein" <benr_mc at cogapp.com> wrote:
>> but I can't figure out a syntax to let me add the optional parameter without
>> using the dictionary, ie something like this should be the equivalent to the
>> last two above:
>>
>>    <<event aevtodoc>> "/test.txt" <<property OpnI>> new_window
>>
>> All the variations I've thought of give me a compiler error.  So how do I do
>> that, then?
>
> I think you need to think 'misc' 'dosc' with your own data structure and
> content.
>
> Google the following "dosc misc revolution" and look at a couple of the
> archive posts on  our list.
>
> on appleEvent theClass,theID
>    if theClass is "misc" and theID is "dosc" then
>       request appleEvent data
>      put it into thedata
> ----
> Ken Ray has some good help pages on the use of appleEvents
> http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/revolution/revolution.htm
> http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/revolution/tips/ascr005.htm

But keep in mind that you cannot do this with Revolution 2.7.3 because of a
bug that scrambles the apple events. If you use Revolution 2.7.2, you can
use apple events, but they come in backwards on Universal Binary builds
(i.e. The class is "csim" and theID is "csod"), although PPC builds are OK.
Anything 2.7.1 or earlier should work properly. See Bug #3809 in Bugzilla
for more info.

Just FYI,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software