OT: The passing of Pluto

barryb at libero.it barryb at libero.it
Fri Aug 25 14:27:35 EDT 2006

While we all seem to be Ot abut place names , heres my bit.

Yes London has practically always been called that. It was Londinos when the Romans arrived, they changed it to Lundinium and so on through the ages.
But my favourite is a townlet near here in Northen Italy which the Romans knew by the lovely name of Argentia which makes you think of something silver.
In the 16th century it was changed to Gorgonzola!
As Shakespeare once wrote (I think) "A 'cheese' by any other name would smell as sweet"

Oh! the adds at the bottom of my posts are not mine, that comes from using a free email provider and I didn't know until I saw it here.
Barry