Runtime Revolution Ships Revolution Media

Jerry Daniels jerry at daniels-mara.com
Sat Apr 15 10:39:49 EDT 2006

Judy,

I have begun to believe the dilemma that Revolution (and many other
great products) face is the "cult software" phenomenon. I am starting
to think software becomes "cultish" and loses its appeal to people
who are not part of the "cult" because of a corruption of the
creative process whereby:

1. the developers of the software lose their "faith" and "vision" and
start believing in "features"
2. as a result, the software becomes something less appealing to new
users (non-cult members)

Many feedback sessions, however well-intentioned, end up being ego
battles whereby the technical types with less assertive social skill
lose faith in their product, their company and themselves. In short,
they start urinating in the punch bowl during breaks. (NOTE: this has
actually happened.)

If I were Kevin and Mark, I would avoid reading this list at every
opportunity. I believe the over-all effect of this list tends to be
debilitating for them and might even neuter them creatively speaking.
It would be like watching the Catholic channel right before having
sex. Oops...I actually like that. Well, you know what I'm trying to say.

Jerry

Buy Constellation from Runtime Revolution!
http://revstudio.runrev.com/section/revselect/constellation/