[Ticket#: 2006040510000641] Re: [OT] Articles to read

Marielle Lange mlange at lexicall.org
Thu Apr 13 09:41:29 EDT 2006

Alex,

Thanks for the nice demo on how it can be done with runrev.

Note that you can do without an array for you bars function

function bars pSymbol, pN
    put format("%0" & ntimes, "0") into tBars
           -- format proposes an implementation of printf/sprintf
used in awk, c++, php, etc.
    replace " 0" with pSymbol in tBars
    return tBars
end function

Also note that I deliberately avoided to have this  line
        if tMainAlias[t] is not empty then put tMainAlias[t]  into t
within the repeat loop on each line of each document. I put it in a
loop that executes at the end of the script to speed up the
processing (less than a second to parse a year of postings with awk).

------------------------

I know you had no intention to say anything annoying, but this "There
- one simple solution in Rev rather than using awk and Excel :-)"
shows a lack of acknowledgement of the fact that Excel was needed to
solve the problem.  I needed Excel to efficiently skim all lines to
detect emails aliases. At least it was a lot faster to get it done
with Excel than with runrev.

As all my websites prove, I consider revolution as a very powerful
programming tool. However, I sometimes use other tools because they
offer a better solution to some problems. The thing is that it
wouldn't be too difficult to provide similar tools with runrev.  As
all my websites show, I am interested in helping to build these
better tools for revolution. I *DEEPLY* regret that over the last
year or more, too many attempts for a discussion that would have lead
to this has been neutralized on this list.  That doesn't get done
because each time somebody signals that a few things are better done
with that other tool than with runrev, that person gets told off,
sometimes crucified.

I am sincerely sorry about that, but I am not a person of a single
religion. I am a laic --  I have been educated under the values of
"morale laique" -- in belgium, you can attend morale laique lessons
in place of religion ones at school: http://tinyurl.com/zkl9o

What is it? wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laïcité

The term "laïcité", in its current sense, implies free exercise of
religion, but no special status for religion: religious activities
should submit to the same set of laws as other activities and are not
considered above the law.

[snip]

Laïcité does not necessarily imply, by itself, any hostility of the
government with respect to religion. It is best described a belief
that government and political issues should be kept separate from
religious organizations and religious issues (as long as the latter
do not have notable social consequences). This is meant to protect
both the government from any possible interference from religious
organizations, and to protect the religious organization from
political quarrels and controversies.

My own opinion is that we have too many unnecessary religious
quarrels and controversies on this list.

------------------------

I am interested in working, together with other members of this
community, on using my knowledge and experience of other tools to
improve the set of components, functions and modules provided in this
community.

I wish it would be possible to discuss this productively somewhere.
If you have (productive) suggestions to make, please take contact.
Privately is best. I came to be annoyed with this list to the point I
avoid reading it.

Marielle

--------
Marielle Lange (PhD),  Psycholinguist