WAS Re: List Moderation, recent threads and New Forum, NOW specialFolderPath in Ubuntu Linux

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Tue Apr 11 16:37:52 EDT 2006

Richard Gaskin wrote:

Just to clarify, does specialFolderPath return the proper value under
Ubuntu?  Which constants work with it?

The docs don't mention Linux at all, while they do list the constants
available for Classic, OS X, and Windows.  So from the docs it's not
clear whether specialFolderPath is expected to work at all right now
under Linux.

If it works in one flavor of Linux but not others, while momentarily
annoying it bodes well for the future, as it implies the effort was made
for it to work on Linux but it simply has some bugs in the current release.

This is especially interesting to me, as I'm planning on my first Linux
release later this year.  I'll be watching Linux-related threads closely....

Hi Richard,

The function specialFolderPath has apparently not been implemented in
Linux, and the little OS icon at the top of the Help page describing it
is dimmed out to show that it is not available.

With regard to the parameters it can take (e.g. "System", "Desktop"),
which are different and more/less numerous according to the OS, "Linux"
does not appear as a heading on the Help page, and therefore no
parameters are listed. (Sorry, you said that above, didn't you?)

In practice, typing this function in the message box with any viable
parameter gives an empty result. Of course, I am only able to test it in
Ubuntu Linux and not any other kind of Linux at the moment, but I
imagine that the practical experiment would give the same results.

This is especially interesting to everybody, since certain fundamental
things become difficult if not impossible without this function. MY
first Linux program was severely limited because of difficlty in
obtaining fundamental system info of this sort. Whether or not it will
be implemented in 2.7........

Regards,
Bob