[Ticket#: 2006040510000641] Re: [OT] Articles to read

Steve Knox knoxnet at dmrtc.net
Thu Apr 6 18:48:07 EDT 2006

On Apr 6, 2006, at 3:29 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> With other products I manage we generally aim for zero defects only
> with issues that cause data loss, and evaluate the rest on a case-
> by-case basis in terms of customer value and company ROI.

This appears to be a decent strategy, if the evaluation of customer
value bugs is done correctly.  Frequently it isn't.  For example,
User Frustration bugs (such as the clunky/buggy script editor) should
have a higher priority than they seem to command, in that lost sales
and upgrades, and the resultant lowering of company reputation, that
these bugs can generate can impact the company's bottom line in a
very significant way.

Management is an art, not a science.  Reducing it to a science takes
the human element out of the process.  Doing that isolates the
manager from the task.  This isolation creates arrogance, arrogance
lowers morale, low morale lowers quality, and you get the point.

A chief signal indicating when managers have fallen into this
downward spiral appears when they begin listing all of the quite
valid reasons why X can't be done, or why it doesn't matter.

What they're really saying is "I don't know how to do it, and I don't
want anyone to think I'm incompetent, so I will redefine the task as
Impossible, and thus my life will become much easier".

Consider the following:

"Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do, and does not do
it, to him it is sin." James 4:17

My Revolution trial code expired today.  I am still not sure if I
will buy it.  Studio is a bit too pricey for my means.  Media is not
out yet, and I can't tell if it's restrictions will affect me.  Lynn
Fredericks has said that inventive users like me don't really exist,
which does not inspire confidence.  I was really hoping for a single-
platform product like Studio priced in the $120 US range.

I can get HyperCard to work for my application.  Not well, and
running Classic will be a pain, but it will do it.  I was hoping to
buy something faster and more modern with better graphics that would
run on OS X.  Revolution has so far shown the greatest promise.

But it's not there yet.  And judging from the attitude of some of the
Rev dignitaries on this list, it may never be.

Steve