Get chunk info from line numbers?

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Wed Apr 5 21:27:39 EDT 2006

On Apr 5, 2006, at 6:04 PM, Garrett Hylltun wrote:

> Rev 2.6.1
>
> Greetings,
>
> I've been trying to figure out how to get the chunk info from lines
> other than what is currently selected....
>
> Say the caret is on line 10, I want to get the chunk starting from
> the beginning of line 20 to the beginning of line 30.  Not the text
> of those lines, but the chunk info itself.  But I don't want to
> move the caret from where it's at.
>
> I've scoured the docs to try and find what I need to accomplish this.

Garret, do you mean something like this?

   line 10 to 20 of fld "myfld"

Or do you need to select from a specific character of a specific line
to a specific character on another line? The following, for instance,
is not legal syntax:

   char 5 of line 10 to char 1 of line 20 of fld "myfld" ---no workee

(as you've probably figured out.)

I would try something like:

put length(line 1 to 9 of fld "myfld" into startchr
put length(line 1 to 19 of fld "myfld" into endchr
select char startchr to endchr of fld "myfld"
--(or whatever you want to do with the chunk

Is this what you're after?

Devin