Advertising at VersionTracker

Scott Kane scott at proherp.com
Wed Apr 5 23:03:50 EDT 2006

> In my experience, Download.com is the biggest by far.

It is.  I used to be a reviewer there in another life.

> Tucows
> comes in a
> very distant second or third (and has some really weird
> policies and a
> funky taxonomy),

Scott Swedorski was responisible for some of that when
he founded it, but he sold it a few years ago (works
for Coffee Cup now) and the rules became ridiculous.

> and then there are dozens (hundreds really) of less
> significant sites.

Majority of them are rubbish.  Just clones of each other.
They add nothing to the web experience and with recent
Google rules can actually upset your Google ranking.

> For Mac the places to be are:
> Download.com
> VersionTracker.com
> MacUpdate.com
> Tucows.com

Agreed.  But Apple have a listing on their site too...

> Maintaining your listings at these sites and more will be part of my
> presentation on the Marketing panel at RevCon West.

I'd love to be able to see that.  Maybe some videos afterwards?

Scott