[OT-sorta] Bootcamp, (NOT BASECAMP) and the new cat LEOPARD

Byron Turner byront at mac.com
Wed Apr 5 18:10:04 EDT 2006

I'm not sure why (you or the Times) think Apple cares one way or the
other if someone screws up their Mac trying to get windows working as
Apple won't support windows or other people's software.  Besides, if
someone screws up their Mac enough, they may have to give Apple some
cash to repair it. Now, as to why release it now, my speculation
(which all any of this is) is that:

A, its ready now
B. Apple is pumping the developer conference and, as you can see,
they are touting this as a feature of Leopard.
C. Look at Apple's skyrocketing stock price. Not only does Apple own
lots of its own stock, but consider what this is doing to Apple's
mind share especially a week after the Vista delay announcement.
Microsoft announces, "we can't do windows" while Apple announces "but
we CAN"
D. consider all of the above and what this will mean for sales during
Apple's traditionally weakest quarter.

Lastly, I don't see a valid argument for why virtualization is better
than dual booting as it depends on what one wants to accomplish. I've
owned every version of Virtual PC but I bought a MacBook specifically
for the potential to dual boot. Any time I test an app in virtual PC
I always wonder, and how will it run on the real thing. Now, I don't
have to wonder, nor do I have to keep a PC box around. I can now feel
confident that Dell will never get another dime from me and I feel
pretty good about that. Now if I could just cut Microsoft out  . .
legally . .

Byron