another yucky geometry question

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Mon Sep 26 19:42:53 EDT 2005

>Message: 15
>Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 13:47:41 -0700
>From: TJ Frame <tjframe at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: another yucky geometry question
>To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
>Thanks for your help guys, I didn't realize it was so tough a problem to
>solve :(
>  perhaps I'll have to rethink the way I'd like to implement them.

TJ,

I think I see what you are looking for: An ellipse which is tangent
to the two radial lines and the two end lines. confined between the
two end lines--also tangent to the ellipse.

The stack below calculates the point on the ellipse where the tangent
to the ellipse is parallel to the  radial lines and then puts the
ellipse there. I have confined myself to the case where the major
axis of the ellipse is parallel to the x axis. It gets grubby
otherwise. This was fun. I hate grubby.

In the message box:

    go stack url "http://home.infostations.net/jhurley/EllipseInAbox.rev"

Hope this helps.