Resources on OSX

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 17:46:10 EDT 2005

On 9/22/05, david bovill <david at openpartnership.net> wrote:
> Been trying to work out how to get the resource infor out of webloc
> files using Rev and found this article about using Applescript and an
> OSX command line tool:
>
>      http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20040728185233128
>
> I am looking to be able to create and access the url inside these
> webloc files. This seems to be stored in the resource fork - so I
> though I'd use the built in Rev commands but these return empty for
> webloc files - not too up on resources in OSX - are the Rev commands
> only for OS9?
>
> Here is the AppleScript:

snipped

> Anyone got an idea how to do this in Transcript?

For starters, you could try just using the AppleScript from inside your Rev app.
Looking further into the script, I see that it uses a shell command
within the AppleScript, so you could call that directly from
Transcript.

Using the Rev resource commands, I can see 4 resources in the webloc
file I tested, but I can only see their names, not their contents. The
AppleScript uses one of the developer tools to extract the contents of
the resource, so it would have to be installed for this to work.

HTH,
Sarah