[ANN] StackRunner 1.0.2

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Fri Sep 9 11:04:16 EDT 2005

On 9/9/05 9:01 AM, "Jim Hurley" <jhurley at infostations.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the Runner. I love the simplicity.

My pleasure!

> What are the differences and when would one choose StackRunner and
> when DreamCard?

Here's my quick list of the differences:

What DreamCard Player Has That StackRunner Doesn't Have:
    - Provides a secure mode to run stacks (default)
    - Contains and opens RevOnline Viewer; provides access to RO channels
    - Automatically checks for updates
    - Shows splash screen on launch

What SR has that DCP Doesn't Have:
    - Doesn't present a user interface (other than a simple "answer file"
dialog)
    - Allows you to run a stack automatically on launch
    - Gives you the ability to provide a custom "answer file" prompt if your
stack can't be found
    - Can automatically quit (or re-ask for a new stack) when the last stack
closes
    - The 'answer file' dialog is displayed as a dialog on OS X so that a
title prompt can be displayed (DCP uses a sheet, so it may not be clear what
it's asking you to open)
    - Provides the 'answer file' dialog automatically if it isn't set to run
a stack automatically (in DCP you have to click on a small button with a
folder on it that has no label or tooltip)

In general I would use SR to distribute known stacks to a specific "known"
group of people, like a class or a client; the intention of SR is to get
close to the true "application" experience. I would use DCP when you are
distributing stacks via RevOnline for others to use, or when you need to
have secure mode.

> Thanks again for all you do for the Rev community.

No problem!

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/