Open source collaboration [WAS: Re: Rev vs. AJAX... Ajax vs TAOO]

david bovill david at openpartnership.net
Sun Oct 16 14:43:14 EDT 2005

On 16 Oct 2005, at 20:06, Mark Wieder wrote:

> Funny, I just started down the road of moving my rev version control
> over to subversion, too. But I'd happily give that up if you can get
> this running in the next month or so.

So your offering to help :)

On 16 Oct 2005, at 20:06, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> I just don't think tools or the lack of tools are holding up any
> serious open source efforts.   I think the problem lies elsewhere.
>
> If we assume a priori that the problem is a lack of tools we may
> overlook the actual root cause....

While I agree with you, treating the problem is not always the most
effective strategy. The problem in this case is largely the advantage
of Rev - it is a fabulous DIY tool. So not such a reason to
cooperate, and the tool itself generates many effective
individualistic strategies for rapid development. Marrying them is a
sociological nightmare :)

So why not go with the flow - horses for courses? Is there a way of
combining "Magic Carpet" with the interest to develop an SVN / CVS
integration into the Rev environment?