open with on windows does not work with rev. Heeeeeelp :-)

Bob Hartley rev at armbase.com
Thu Nov 17 13:28:33 EST 2005

Alex Tweedly <alex at tweedly.net> wrote:

> Sarah Reichelt wrote:
>
> > > So I doubleclicked on the plugin (has a .rev extension) and windows
> > > asked me what application I wanted to use. Since rev was not in the
> > > list, I clicked browse to go to the rev 2.6 folder and clicked on
> > > revolution.exe.
> >>
> > > I then clicked open and then OK. Oooooops. Windows XP did not
> > > recognise revolution.exe and set all the files with a .rev extension
> > > to firefox. :-(
> >>
> > > I tried going to the individual properties and diong it that way but
> > > still no luck. Windows does not recognise revolution as an app to
> > > associate fieltypes with.
> >>

> > I can't help, but I can confirm this except that in my case, Windows
> > insists on using WinRAR to boot my .rev stacks. When I choose "Open
> > with..." I get a list that does not include Revolution, so I choose
> > Browse and go and find the Revolution.exe. After finding it, it still
> > doesn't appear in the list, so I can't select it and I can't tell
> > Windows to use it for all .rev files.
> >
> > I assumed it was just me as I am not a Windows person, but maybe it is
> > Rev. Should I try re-installing? I uninstalled WinRAR but that didn't
> > help.
> >

> Click on "My Computer"
>  From the menu, select Tools / Folder Options ...
> Select the Tab "File Types" Scroll down to find REV    (*) Click on
> "Change ..." button Check the box "Always use the selected program to open
> this file type" If Rev Engine isn't in the list, use Browse to find it and
> select it. Click OK
>
> That should set it up so that all .rev files open with it.

Hi Folks.

All sorted now . Sorry for the delay in getting back but I was on webmail on
my other machine. Anyway.......

The problem was that when I did this suggestion it did not see rev. However,
I fixed it via the registry.

I searched through all the things in the registry until I found all the .rev
items. One had a path to rev-2.5 so I changed that to rev 2.6 and then rev
2.5 appeared in the list of apps. Then I changed it no problem. I then
bought registry mechanic to check the registry and correct any problems.

I'm toying with linux anyway, since I'm fed up buying thingds like
diskeeper, regmachanic etc etc etc etc just so the thing doesn't grind to a
halt.

Cheers
Bob