Word 1 to -1 Truncating Entire Paragraphs?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Nov 11 16:05:39 EST 2005

Sivakatirswami wrote:
> I am using a routine discuss on this list sometime back to kill
> vertical white space (extra cr's)  at the beginning and end of a  large
> text chunk..
>
> put word 1 to -1 of fld "transcript" into tFinalTranscript
>
> But this is suddenly chopping off whole paragraphs and chars at the  end
> of the file.
> e.g. the following which represents the end of a file.
>
> Le petite insect ki tappe dans la nuit. C'est une "cricket" en  Creole.
> La langue creole est tres jolie. So vocabulaire est tres  pauvre, donc,
> il faut decrire toute les choses avec beaucoup des les  petites mots
> tres jolie. Est Creole a le meme syntax que Anglais, pas  comme le haute
> francaise de Paris!
>
> plus de text ici
>
> plus de text ici
>
> ends up like this in the final output

> Creole.  La langue creole est tres jolie. So vocabulaire est tres
> pauvre,</p>
>
> # the rest is missing.
>

> I have test this by simply commenting out this line:
>
>    -- put word 1 to -1 of fld "transcript" into tFinalTranscript
>         put fld "transcript" into tFinalTranscript
>
> and the entire transcript is delivered to the variable.. it's that "
> word 1 to -1" which is chopping of entire blocks of text...
>
> This seems like a bug to me... or am I missing something?

I copied your text and tried it in a field, and it works fine here. But
it may not be a fair test, as your result text shows HTML tags and the
original does not; we should test with the original, actual text. Also,
are you using unicode? That may not evaluate spaces the same way as
non-unicode text.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com