The Disappearing Desktop - It's Real This Time

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Thu Nov 10 00:54:28 EST 2005

Dan Shafer wrote:
> The fact that one such effort failed -- or even that a bunch of such
> efforts failed -- is irrelevant in the face of the new market
> realities. Particularly the ad supported software model is one that I
> think has a tremendous amount of potential to be disruptive.

I hope 'ad supported software model' doesn't go the way of the last
internet version of 'ad supported software model'! As you recall, the
last ad based models showed up at the beginning of the WWW, and was
instantly proclaimed the next great business model. Many companies lost
their shirts believing this. Now, internet advertising is seen as
something 'no so great' at best, and 'bothersome spyware' at worst.

-Chipp