The Disappearing Desktop - It's Real This Time

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Thu Nov 10 01:12:33 EST 2005

Hi Dan,

You of course know, I'm with Richard and Andre on this. Perhaps even
further left of them. My experience with Application Service Providers
tell me it's very difficult to persuade the enterprise to take advantage
of such technologies, especially from outside the firewall. And if
Enterprise doesn't adopt the technology, then I don't give it much of a
chance.

Frankly, I still think AJAX is the flavor of the month in California,
where flavors of the month are mostly born. I believe this for many of
the reasons already stated.

But,here's another reason:

18 months ago I spent some time with the CTO of Quest communications in
Dallas. I was surprised to see his computer running WinNT when both Win
2000 and Win XP were available. His comment was something along the
lines of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it.' He understands, it is
important to keep up to date, but he mentioned being responsible for
something like 2000 computers. Factoring in costs like downtime,
retraining, and licensing fees brought him to the decision that the
gains just weren't worth the effort. I think many CTO's are now more
budget-minded and I'm sure BOD's are wary of out-of-control technology
budgets, especially when it's obvious the productivity gains just are
not showing themselves.

Speaking of productivity, I'm not so sure, deep mask interfaces with
glowing pulsing buttons and expose like task management really helps
users 'get more done'.

You and I and most everyone on this list know of good...no GREAT
software we have used in the past, which is no longer available..but our
fonts are now anti-aliased!

Programs like Claris Impact, Claris CAD, MORE, the old versions of Flash
which were easy to script, MacWrite, MacPaint and MacDraw. Some of these
STILL have no equal (imo, mostly thanks to the illegal efforts of MS).
That's where one finds productivity gains, in the software and what it
can do, not in whether it runs in a browser or on the desktop.

Good discussion,

best,

Chipp