Update to 2.5 from 2.2????

Marty Billingsley marty at vertex.ucls.uchicago.edu
Wed May 4 09:48:02 EDT 2005

> "Jeanne A. E. DeVoto" <revolution at jaedworks.com> writes;
> At 2:14 PM +0100 5/3/05, David Burgun wrote:
> >I've just updated to 2.5 from 2.2 and my .rev files no long open
> >RunRev when double-clicked, instead DreamCard Player starts up. What
> >do I have to do to make it open RunRev instead?
> >
> >I am using MacOS 9.
>
> Association of a "primary" application with a creator signature in
> Mac OS is...erm...mysterious. In my experience, the best method for
> dealing with this sort of situation is:
> 1. Move the application you want to be primary out of its folder and
> onto the desktop.
> 2. Close the folder that the application used to be in.
> 3. Move the application from the desktop back into the folder.
> This seems to cause the desktop database to update itself in most cases.

Or....you could just use a utility like DragThing to create a
dock of all your applications so that you can drag a document
and drop it on exactly the application you want to open it in.
Gives you much more control than double-clicking.

BTW, DragThing is a million times better than the OS X dock; don't
throw it away when you get around to upgrading to X.

  - marty

--
Marty Billingsley (marty at ucls.uchicago.edu)
The University of Chicago Laboratory Schools