Error saving standalone -- revisited yet again

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Wed May 4 09:58:37 EDT 2005

I never use the single-byte <>, <= or >= versions in any of my scripts.
  I just checked the only other script I may have added from an outside
source since this last worked, and they are clean.

I tried suppress messages and save standalone, no good.

I then made an exact copy of the stack (using the Finder), opened that
copy in Rev, tried saving that as a standalone.  Still not working.

Next, I tried commenting out the savingStandalone, preOpenStack,
openStack, closeStackRequest, shutdownRequest, and closeStack handlers
in my mainstack, along with the preOpenCard and openCard handlers in
the first card of that stack (I'm working with the copy).

I then saved the stack, quit Rev, reopened the stack, turned on Supress
Messages, and tried saving the standalone.

Same unhelpful error.  Needless to say, this is getting rather
frustrating.  The stack represents several months worth of work.  There
are 40 substacks, one of which has 42 cards (the mainstack has 8
cards).

The mainstack's script got to be so long I broke it down by adding a
backscript via a field on the first card (it is added by the
preOpenStack script which I commeted out -- that's why I quit Rev
before trying to build again).

That backscript got to be so long I forked off a *second* backscript,
so that there are now two backscripts: one with 838 lines, and one with
803 lines.  The mainstack script still has 473 lines , and some of the
cards on my mainstack have scripts with line counts like 889 and 807...
some of the substacks have scripts of over 200 lines, and a few of
their cards have scripts on the order of 100+ lines.  And these are
just the stacks and cards!  Some of the controls also have scripts of
several hundred lines each.

Needless to say, I can't really afford to lose this stack.  I have
backup copies, but with this level of complexity, backing up even a
step or two could be rather costly, and if the same problems occur...

Okay, one more thing I thought to try: I have a number of externals I'm
using, some of them are custom ones (that I built).  Rev crashes every
time I build a standalone from a stack using certain externals (after
displaying the message that the standalone was successfully saved, or
now this error), and this is one of those stacks.

I tried setting the externals of the copy (the one with all of the
handlers commented out) to empty, quitting Rev, and repeating the
process.  Rev thinks about it a little longer now, but still comes back
to the same error message. At least this time it didn't crash
afterwords ;-)

The destination folder (the folder created during the save process) is
still not created.