Greek text in Rev fields under Linux

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Thu Mar 31 14:19:54 EST 2005

On Mar 31, 2005, at 11:55 AM, Richard K. Herz wrote:

> For scientific notation, I need to display Greek text characters in
> Rev fields in Linux using a font in a standard Linux distribution. On
> Win and Mac, one simply uses Symbol font in a Rev field. This doesn't
> display properly in Rev under Linux (Redhat Core distribution). The
> Rev docs suggest this involves using UTF-16 unicode font. The standard
> fonts on Linux appear to be UTF-8 and my experiments have been
> unsuccessful.

I have only a couple off-the-cuff remarks from a non-linux guy that
might tide you over until you get some linux answer.

UTF16 and UTF8 are different representations of the same encoding.
That shouldn't affect font use.

I would guess there is a font called Caslon or similar.  It should have
unicode greek characters.

Try a simple test like this (with or without setting the font):

on mouseUp
   set the useUnicode to true
   set the unicodeText of field "field" to numToChar(0x222A)
end mouseUp

You should get a union symbol.

Dar