Printing is driving me crazy

graham samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Thu Mar 31 14:05:14 EST 2005

I'm developing some simple printing routines using RR 2.5.1 and OSX
10.3.8. I have a little Epson inkjet printer that works very happily
with all my purchased apps such as word processors, graphic programs
etc. But with Rev I'm having a bad time.

1. I arranged for the initialisation routine in my app to read the
paper size and the margins and to make my stack the same size as the
printPaperSize and my print area the same size as the page minus the
margins. I then attempted to construct something to print. The card to
be printed looks perfectly OK, but the printer doubles the left margin
from the absurdly large 72 points (more later) to a completely daft 144
points - at least it looks that way. This shows up even on the OSX
preview, and even when I propose to print on a different printer, which
makes me think it must be me, except for the screen appearance and
dimensions of the card to be printed, which look OK. For example, the
left hand edge of the field to be printed is definitely 72 pixels from
the edge of the card, and the card is definitely 594 pixels wide, which
corresponds to the width of an A4 page. I just can't guess what I'm
doing wrong.

2. I find that if I  run a 'Page Setup' routine by calling 'answer
printer', I can alter the printPaperSize, even switching from portrait
to landscape; but even if I change the margins in the OS dialog (there
is a trick - Custom Paper Size - for doing this), they don't change
within the RunRev environment. I suppose that I could introduce a
dialog of my own to change the margins, but then I wouldn't know how
near the edge I could take them (I've Bugzilla'd this one). How do
other people cope with this?

TIA for any help at all. Deadlines loom and I'm in difficulty here.
Maybe the PC version will work better...

Graham