Running MySQL Utility Commands on Remote Server

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Sat Mar 26 15:49:08 EST 2005

On Mar 26, 2005, at 8:07 AM, Peter Reid wrote:

> In order to do various forms of database maintenance (dumping,
> importing copying, etc.) I need to be able to use not just the MySQL
> server commands but also the MySQL utility commands such as mysqldump.
>  In particular, I'd like to be able to dump the structure and contents
> of a database on the server into a local file (as a SQL script) on the
> client system.

Peter,

to dump, import and copy databases in MySQL, you don't need shell
access!!!! you can just use plain SQL commands, just remember to log in
the database (RevOpenDatabase) with a user that has admin-like
priviledges.  Check my previous email on this thread, I point you to
some URLs that shows SQL statements to cover your needs. Yes, the
documentation also talks about the command line utils but they are not
the point, if you check the pages, they will show you the commands for
your needs.

Also, with a simple script you can dump the database yourself:

* Check the database tables.
* Check table structures.
* Write the SQL to write all tables.
* Start dumping SQL to write all the data of those tables...

it's a boring job, but it's feasible. You could even share that code in
RevOnline so that others would not have to reinvent the wheel.

Andre

--
Andre Alves Garzia ð 2004
Soap Dog Studios - BRAZIL