Analyzing competitors - In this case Real Software

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Wed Mar 23 00:48:09 EST 2005

> But a colleague who is a VB guru and HyperCard-knowledgeable
> and I spent about a month last year looking at what it would
> take to write a translator or even good conversion
> documentation to enable VBers to switch to Rev. It is, as we
> say in the software biz, a non-trivial task. The programming
> paradigms are just so completely different that it did not
> appear to us that we could achieve anything resembling even
> 50% automation of the process. [snip]

I wrote my own translator which handles C, java, JS, basic,
flash, fortran to Transcript. Called the Transcriptolator.

It's true you cannot automate many translations but the code
translation and writing the translator has led me to an OOP
process that does work.  The hardest part was with Flash and
finding the right techniques to do the same kind of object-
orientation or messaging.

In the end I realized we may not have some of their "objects"
(like frames in flash) but we do have more parrallels and
facilities to do the same or other ways with RunRev.

Good knowledge of RunRev is primordial for things to work
correctly and things like graphics are not easy to translate
but it's not impossible or too hard either.

Once you have grasped a technique any subsequent translation
is much easier.

Regards,
Xavier
--