OT: Analyzing competitors - In this case Real Software

Mark Talluto userev at canelasoftware.com
Tue Mar 22 10:05:45 EST 2005

There is a small bit at MacCentral:
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/03/21/realbasic/index.php> with the
following paragraph:   "REAL Software noted in the REALbasic 5.5.5
release that of the 25 percent or so of its user base who are porting
applications, 47 percent are porting Visual Basic applications
specifically."

This can be read a couple of different ways at a glance.  They have
been really going after the VB developer market with their last few
releases.  The VB porter appears to be generating new customers for RB.
  From this bit one can estimate that roughly 12-13% of their entire
user base has come over from the VB camp.  I am sure it has been
written somewhere what their user size is.  More important though is
knowing who their user base is.  What efforts have awarded them a
larger user base.

I just love picking up bits of info like this about my competitors.  It
can give you an edge.  In fact, I find it inspiring.  As Rev and RB are
in the same vertical and horizontal markets, it is an interesting piece
of info.

Mark Talluto
--
CANELA Software