compileIt for revolution?

Jim Bufalini YourSignup at Yahoo.com
Fri Jun 24 08:55:02 EDT 2005

Jon,

My point exactly: "a large array of numbers" = "data" So is the photograph
you are computing the histogram on. Would either of these change, if you
switch languages? Hence, they are external to your language, or "data."

I write business application software, so I've never had to compute a
histogram and admit I have no clue as to what's involved in that process.

However, I have to believe that it is no different than someone saying we
have over 200,000 lengthy depositions and need to quickly know any
deposition where Jon said to Jim "with all due respect" in the second
quarter of the year 2005 while discussing the topic of "compilIT for
revolution?". And, we don't want any false positives.

If you try to brute force this and depend on your language, OS, and platform
for speed of execution, you could be waiting minutes, hours or even days for
the result.

But, if you know the kind of data manipulation you will be doing in advance,
you can parse, index, or otherwise reorganize the source data in such a way
as to minimize large data sources or "large arrays."

Now, depending on how well you organized your data, whether your language is
in pcode or machine compiled, results in only milliseconds of difference.

Believe me, over 25 years of programming experience bears this out.

Jim