I need help with custom cursors

Chris Sheffield revlist at cableone.net
Mon Jul 25 12:25:34 EDT 2005

Hi Mark,

Sorry I've taken so long to respond.  I've been out of town for the
last few days.

I'm not really sure what the problem would be.  I had a pre-existing
jpg image that I started with.  I had to edit that image so that it
only used three colors (some color very close to black (1,0,0 in my
case), white, and then a transparent color).  I set the transparency
(using Paint Shop Pro, btw), then saved it has a gif.  I imported
that into Rev, used the pencil tool to edit a pixel, then I just hit
undo to remove my changes to the image.  I set the cursor and it
worked fine for me.

Not sure if that'll help or not.  It sounds like you've followed the
same steps, except for using 0,0,1 instead of 1,0,0 for your
"black".  Don't know if that would make a difference or not.

Chris

On Jul 21, 2005, at 2:31 PM, Mark Schonewille wrote:

> Chris,
>
> I tried as you suggest, but without success. I have an image of
> 16x16 pixels, containing three colours: some transparent colour,
> rgb value 0,0,1 and white. I saved it as a png and as a gif file.
>
> The png file is completely white, except for the transparent area,
> when imported. If I use the pencil tool to change one pixel, it
> becomes completely black (except the transparent area). If I import
> the gif file, it gets completely black and stays black after
> changing a pixel (except transparent area).
>
> Would you be willing to describe the process step by step?
>
> Best,
>
> Mark
>
> Chris Sheffield wrote:
>
>> For anyone who is even remotely interested, Jonathan has figured
>> out  this little problem.
>> It turns out that using black in the cursor images is the
>> problem.   So use some other color very close to black (RGB 1,0,0
>> for example)  instead of black.  Then after importing your image
>> into Rev, use  Rev's pencil tool to change a pixel or two, then
>> just undo your  changes (I'm not sure what exactly this does, but
>> it doesn't work  without this step).  Then just set your cursor
>> like normal.  Works  like a charm.
>> Thanks again, Jonathan.
>> Chris
>> On Jul 13, 2005, at 2:31 PM, Chris Sheffield wrote:
>>
>>> Well, since no other ideas appear to be coming in, I'm wondering
>>> if  anyone out there has any custom cursors that work that you
>>> would be  willing to share.  I'm looking for an hourglass along
>>> with left,  right, up and down pointing fingers (much like they
>>> had/have in the  Myst games.  Anyone?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
> --
>
> eHUG coordinator
> mailto:europe at ehug.info
> http://www.ehug.info
> http://home.wanadoo.nl/mark.sch
> http://www.economy-x-talk.com
>
> Please inform me about vacancies in the field of
> general economics at your institute. I am also looking
> for new freelance programming projects.

Chris Sheffield
Read Naturally
The Fluency Company