Revolution and GPS receivers

Jeffrey Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Mon Jan 24 12:14:46 EST 2005

Ben,

I looked in to this last year. most GPSs use one of a handful of data
standards (marine units generally use the NMEA standard) that encodes
the data in a rather strange format. You can buy the standard to decode
the data or you might also try just putting the output of a gps unit
(usually 422 serial, but now also usb) into a serial analyzer or a
terminal program to see if you can figure the data format out yourself.
I have done this with other sorts of equipment and had good luck. As
long as they dont actually encrypt the data you can usually pluck it
out once you are grabbing good data chunks (another fun thing to noodle
out). This is made easier since you will know exactly what data you are
looking for (ie the lat lon data on the readout of the gps unit).

i think the data stream will also probably have gmt time of the reading
and might also have machine specific stuff like course, ground speed,
etc.

if you google nmea gps standard you will find some interesting info out
there and some rev files to checkout!

cheers,

jeff

Jeffrey Reynolds