copy protection

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sun Jan 9 21:58:26 EST 2005

Gordon,

We sell and copy protect much of our and our client's software. Your
advice is indeed valuable-- whenever possible, err on the side of your
user. We don't spend too much time making something 'uncrackable', but
rather difficult for people to casually pirate.

One problem with a discussion of copy protection techniques, is
invariably one wants to 'keep secret' the best techniques and not
publish them to say...a list-group of developers ;-)

That being said, the best copy protection technique we use is auto and
frequent updates from the web. Only registered users can do this and we
can of course track any abuses of multiple updating. Even better is to
put some of the functionality of your application on a server, then
users *have to logon* in order to use it.

Other techniques not as great, include storing timeout dates in the
registry and prefs area and not deleting them on an unistall, and
encrypting regcodes so a simple data search cannot find them.

I personally don't believe in licensing computers, but rather licensing
users. Typically all of our cross platform apps work with the same
regCode on any machine. I, in fact, regularly use 5 different machines,
and hate it when someone (Adobe, Macromedia) forces me to purchase
multiple copies of their software, when only I will only be using it on
any given machine at a given time. This is why I like to include a
person's email address in the regcode process, that way if they pass it
around, they will be also giving out their email address, which also
helps me track down the dishonest culprit. ;-) I don't know of many
folks who want their email address as part of a crack suite of codes on
a Warez site.

And, if your application is auto-updated (like Acrobat) from the web,
your users never know if they're passing a ripped off regcode.

But alas, making a great piece of software and marketing it smartly can
do a lot for sales. IMO, I think most pirates won't pay for software
anyway. But, people who casually copy software, do tend to want to pay
for it when they find out they need an upgrade or new feature set.

Hope some of this helps.

best,

Chipp