Message Box, multiple lines

Jerry Muelver jerry at hytext.com
Thu Dec 29 11:06:11 EST 2005

From: "Jerry Daniels"
> Jerry,
>
> The multi-line message box will execute if the actual "enter" key is
> depressed. The key on many machines that says "enter" on it, may, in
> Rev's view, actually be the "return" key and generate a  "returnInfield"
> message for the multi-line message box.
>
> On most machines (esp. laptops), holding down the function key and
> depressing the actual "return" key will result in an "enterInField"
> message to be sent to the message box.
>
> On desktop machines, most of their keyboards have an actual "enter"  key
> at the bottom right corner.

Thanks, Jerry. I should have known a "Jerry" would have the right answer!

My two desktop machines have two "Enter" keys, one by the Shift key, and one
on the keypad. Two of my Intel-based laptops have one "Enter" key, by the
Shift key, as does my NEC palmtop. Only my Mac G3 has both an "Enter" key
(by the space bar) and a "Return" key (by the Shift key). It turns out,
experimenting on the inspiration provided by your elucidation, that on my
desktop the keypad "Enter" key will trigger the action, as will Ctrl-Enter
on the keyboard. I'm sure this is in the documentation, right at... er...
um....

I submit that the distinction between returnInField and enterInField is
absurd for text-entry applications like program editors and dialog boxes,
and is of extremely limited utility for numeric entry applications. In fact,
I doubt that anyone can provide an example supporting the rationale for not
merging the Return and Enter key for good for all applications.

(mumble-mumble, grumble, ratzn-fratz, drat-it...)

---- The Original Jerry