Standalone settings

Phil Davis davis.phil at comcast.net
Tue Dec 20 17:37:58 EST 2005

Preston,

If you want your CD-based app to "know" where to find the .wav files on
that same CD, your script needs to figure out the path name at run-time.
It's easy.

Assuming your app is a standalone app and you have a folder called
'wavfiles" at the same level as your app, you could do it like this:

global gPath

on openStack -- create the path to the .wav files
   put the effective filename of this stack into tAppPath

   if the platform = "MacOS" then
     set the itemDelimiter to "."
     put item 1 of the systemVersion into tVersionNum
   end if

   set the itemDelimiter to slash
   if tVersionNum > 9 then
     delete item -4 to -1 of tAppPath
   else -- OS is anything but OS X
     delete item -1 of tAppPath
   end if

   put tAppPath & slash into gPath
end openStack

Then later in your app when you want to play a file, you can set the
filename of a player to (gPath & the 'short name' of a .wav file), and
off you go.

HTH -
Phil Davis

There are also other ways to do it. Multiple choices sort of makes it
into a "runtime revolution", doesn't it? OK, OK...