You're Right -- It was HARSH

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue Dec 13 06:02:29 EST 2005

Judy Perry wrote:

>I hear what you are saying... but your clarification only supports in a
>way what I was _trying_ (albeit in a less than elegant way) to say:
>
>It started as a use-thingy and then ended up as a philosophical-thingy.
>That's just natural, how humans seemingly work.
>
>And, as such, having a separate
>naughty-stool/philosophical-thingy/whatever list would NOT have prevented
>it from occuring.  Because these things are seemingly  evolvingly
>organically (sp?) rather than as a
>hierarchically-compartmentalized-occuring sort of fashion.

It wouldn't have prevented it from *trying* to happen. But once the
thread had evolved to be about philosophy/marketing, it could be easily,
politely redirected to the other list. (Kind of like Richard did with 3
or 4 messages in this case, sending a brief reply cc'ed to the other
list with a quick note saying "I think this belongs on this other list").

I'm on a couple of other lists that have had to create "escape valves"
for when discussions wandered off-topic, and that works well.