Why is Konfabulator "Pretty?"

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Wed Dec 7 15:44:09 EST 2005

Yeah, VB lets you put a 16x16 icon to the left of button text, it lets you
create buttons that have the little "drop-down" arrow to the right for menus
or palettes, it has properties for whether the button appears in a menu
strip, whether the cursor assumes a special shape when over it... it is part
of the whole "Visual Studio 2005" family, which as you might expect is a
stickler for representing Windows UI.

Just to give you an idea of what can be done with a "simple" button in VBE,
I've captured the fully expanded button properties list and assembled it
into a single image:

http://www.wjm.org/linked/buttons/vbebuttonprops.jpg

(It is bigger than will fit in a browser window, so be sure to hover over
the pic with your mouse button and click the little expansion icon that
appears after a delay, at the lower-right.)

Comments on the properties list: I prefer the way that Rev separates out the
properties (instead of one long list like this), but I'd rather they used
tabs instead of a drop-down menu for the various categories. Note that the
very bottom of the VBE list shows a description of what the property does,
which I think is better than a tooltip. Not that in the grid, clicking into
the right column will show drop-down menus, color pickers, [...] icons which
lead to supplemental dialogs... which is very self-documenting. For example,
if I select something that binds it to a database, I'll get a little wizard
to connect to my datasource, if one isn't already defined.

Bill

Chipp Walters wrote