Explicit variables (was: Re: tabbed windows)

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Wed Dec 7 15:41:52 EST 2005

Hi all,

I take the opportunity of Jim comment to point out a thing I do not
consider as correct with Rev:
I always work with explicit variables (a question of habits with
other languages and to ensure security :-)
Then, all variables used in a repeat control structure header that
are not declared do not make the engine moan...:
repeat with i = 1 to  100 -- i not declared: no alert
repeat for each line tLine in tText -- tLine not declared: no alert
but tText will...
etc.

Is this a dysfunction (I can't call that a bug) or a feature I miss?

Le 7 déc. 05 à 21:28, Jim Ault a écrit :

> On minor comment, Tom.  Declaring variables in Transcript can lead to
> unexpected results as in this case, you chose "a".  This is
> technically a
> reserved 'word', as in 'there is a file', etc.  Most of the time
> you will
> have no problem, but there will be occasions when Transcript will get
> confused.  This is a case where I would use "aaa" to make the name
> both
> unique and more visible.

Best Regards from Paris,
Eric Chatonet.