What Rev Needs -- Again (was "Why is Konfabulator "Pretty?")

John Vokey vokey at uleth.ca
Wed Dec 7 02:12:54 EST 2005

Well, maybe just ``old''.  ``Too old'' is a bit strong (however true
in my case!).  But, I agree with Mr. Rossi in many of his
particulars, which is why I have been promoting DreamCard even though
I do not, as a rule, use it.  I also, as a rule, do not do anything
in RR (or MC, more usually) that DreamCard couldn't do.  The
DreamCard model *is* the Hypercard model in modern guise.  Yes, 10-
line limited DO scripts don't quite fit what we (``old'' HC coders)
accepted, and having most engine commands incapable of being replaced
by simple scripts doesn't either.  I don't care: You want the promise
of HC?  And multi-OS, and colour, and, and, and...  Get DreamCard.
Brilliant.  And, however true otherwise, I am not an old fool in this
case.

But, as for the IDE, and what would attract young users?  Mr. Rossi
is probably dead-on, and dead-right that for the long-term survival
of RR such attraction may be critical.  But what would I know?   I
actually prefer the MC interface!    Still, all the (yes, young!)
students that leave my lab are MC/RR evangelists.  And successful,
too.  No matter where they go, MC/RR becomes the lab programming
environment.  I feel good about that, and always have.  They also
tend to convert all and sundry to LaTeX, but that is a different
story. ;-)

On 6-Dec-05, at 7:05 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> Rev developers are too old.

See <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>