rawkeydown

FMoyer at aol.com FMoyer at aol.com
Wed Dec 7 00:52:05 EST 2005

I have created a stack that allows you to type with one hand. It uses a
technique called "chording" where you press several keys down at the same time. It
has worked fine for me until I got the latest Powerbook. Now suddenly, the
computer gets all fouled up when I type certain key combinations. I wish I could
figure it out.

My stack takes advantage of "rawkeydown". You can see it in action if you
make a stack, put a field into it, and then set the stack script to:

on rawkeydown
   put the keysdown into fld 1
end rawkeydown

Now, type a bunch of keys all at the same time. Their keycodes will be
displayed in the field.

The hand position that I need to be in has me typing the following keys: F10,
9, i, k, Enter. On a Powerbook that feels comfortable to me. With the new
Powerbook, the F10 and Enter keys are messing up, but in interesting ways.

Here are the key combinations (chords) that work
     F10, Enter
     F10, Enter,9

These chords don't work:
     F10, Enter, i
     F10, Enter, k
     F10, Enter, k, 9
     F10, Enter, i, 9
     F10, Enter, k, 9, i

When I type them, sometimes I get no keycodes; other times some of the
keycodes are missing.

Is there any alternative to rawkeydown? Incidentally, I've tried putting the
following into the script:
On enterkey
     beep
end enterkey
on functionkey
     beep
end functionkey

But again, when those other above keys are pressed simultaneously, there is
no beep.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Fred Moyer