Visual Programming, mTropolis, Chipwits and Revolution

Greg Smith brucegregory at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 3 16:38:57 EST 2005

That reminds me of another one, but PC only:  Alice, from Carnegie
Mellon University.  It looks full of potential, to me, but I can't
figure out how to get animated 3D characters into it without owning a
copy of Maya or Max.  You could, however, always use sprites made from
3D animated characters and paste them onto billboards, I suppose.  What
is nice about Alice is that it is drag and drop programming in the
fashion and order of real programming, minus the requirement of syntax
awareness and mastery.  Once your game is complete, you can generate an
actual Python code representation of it. Still, everything seems to keep
dragging people back to those horrid programming languages that make
brains ache and stomachs bleed.

Take a look at Alice:   http://www.alice.org

Greg Smith