Visual Programming, mTropolis, Chipwits and Revolution

Greg Smith brucegregory at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 3 16:14:32 EST 2005

I actually owned mTropolis when it first was released.  It was my next
big project, trying to understand how to make interactive things with
it.  Then I loaned it to a friend and never saw it again. Oh, well.  Of
all of the drag and drop past solutions out there, that Chipwits thing
really hits home, for me.  I am convinced that visually oriented people
are never going to buy into textual, (with lots of abbreviations),
representations of visual things.  Or, rather, they may buy into it, but
they will hate every moment of it.  Programming is an exhausting
pastime, and an even more exhausting occupation.  Just look at some of
these guys after 30 years of it, if they last that long. (Please post
your photos, here).

Making graphic things move and behave in predictable and unpredictable
ways is, I believe, at the root of all modern game enjoyment.  There is
a small segment of the playing population that couldn't care less about
aesthetics and eye candy, but rather thrive on puzzle solving, but I
don't think they are in the majority. And, I believe, if ever the
graphically creative people, enmasse, are to become creators of games,
including the logic part of it, the process of creating, itself, will
have to be a lot of fun, and have a fast development cycle.  It is part
of the personality type.

I never had the priveledge to play Chipwits, but I wish I had.

Ando Sonenblick has developed a somewhat visual authoring environment
called SpriteStudio.  It is cheap and does a lot.  Unfortunately, for
game type interactivity, one must wrap his brain around Lua - and the
documentation set for SpriteStudio features only one game sample. You
might take a look at it:

http://www.spritec.com

And, if you like what you see, you could learn to program in Lua with
"Game Development with Lua", available at you local bookstore.

Did anybody like AxelEdge from Mindavenue?

Greg Smith