Why isn't Rev more popular?

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 1 14:41:39 EST 2005

Not that I have been looking, mind you, but there are probably darn few ads
for "Programmers proficient in Revolution and cross-platform development.
Will pay great salary commensurate with experience and resume"

A friend of mine made is retirement package by sticking his neck out many
years ago while a VP with a major company.  Took his division (nothing to do
with graphics) to all-Macintosh, cut costs and boosted productivity, retired
early to a golf-course home.  The other divisions remained IBM-based.  He
does not know why.

Lesson:  even a true success story like his divisional example does not mean
that others will fall-in with the individual who champions a cause.

Perhaps it is the manager's "I don't want to look stupid, don't want to lose
my job" aspect of decision-making that keeps good stuff in the background,
even with a product like Macintosh.  (the rumors that Apple is going
bankrupt are still slightly exaggerated)

At the moment it seems like Rev is a "replacement" tool (we can do that same
thing faster, etc) rather than a new item (like Stuffit, Norton, Visicalc,
WordPerfect, RAID in their day)

I think that Rev will find its way into the marketplace when they feel they
are really ready to be prime-time and mainstream.  Impatience gathers its
own momentum.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas
I have also found that when I think something is great, it is quite possible
that no one else shares this opinion.