Couple CGI questions--timed events

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Mon Aug 22 12:26:42 EDT 2005

On Monday, August 22, 2005, at 04:07AM, Dan Shafer <revdan at danshafer.com> wrote:

>On Aug 22, 2005, at 7:42 AM, Thomas McCarthy wrote:
>

>> Question 1:
>> Can my rev cgi engine do things (such as send out emails) at
>> predetermined intervals?
>>
>No. The CGI runs on request from a browser or other client. To do
>this it would have to stay running, which is not how CGIs are
>designed to work.

for that task, cron is your friend! :-)

>> Question 2:
>> This is related to question 1. If my cgi script starts up the Rev
>> engine. When does the rev engine shut down?
>>
>Each time the CGI is called, the engine is invoked, does the CGI
>task, and terminates.

I find that the time after the reply to the browser but before engine shutdown is a very nice place to do all kinds of mantainance tasks. The  client is  happy and I think we can steal some more CPU cycles doing things that will speed up our system by leaving it in a nice shape. For example, this is a nice time to process text files and generate quick indexes.

cheers
andre