Simulating 'drawer' behaviour on Windows

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Mon Apr 25 18:08:12 EDT 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Ben Rubinstein <benr at cogapp.com> wrote:

> As far as I can tell, it is not possible to make a really effective
> simulation on Windows of the MacOS X 'drawer' behaviour using transcript.
> The essential aspect is that the 'drawer' window is always at the same
> level
> in the window stack as its parent, and always moves attached to it.
> (snip)
>   Ben Rubinstein

Have a  look at my sample stack "Drawers" of August 2003 at

<http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia> page "Samples and Tools".

The stack was uploaded again (originally to my FTP-site and later
transferred) following discussions on the Metacard list in February 2004.

The stack does *not* use the new drawer command, therefore the examples
could be implemented on any platform and also with older versions of
Metacard or Revolution.

Two approaches are illustrated

- changing the stack size - and even here achieving a real
sliding-drawer effect
- using substacks or other stacks

Modifying the examples - that use substacks - you can create any
reasonable number of drawers at any point of the four sides of the base
stack that slide out  in any direction, i.e. also diagonally.

If you wish, you could also go to another card of the drawer stack
before it is displayed ( There was a request or a question about this on
the list).

No "resize"-problems occur as they were reported for the new drawer
command on MacOS X

Regards,

Wilhelm Sanke
<www.sanke.org>